Sep 18, 2009

Social networking as a lifestyle

Every morning after I wake my laptop from sleep I first check my yammer client to see what has happened at $dayjob, tweetdeck to see what my $friends have been up to and mail to see all the rss feeds and new emails. Most days even before I have opened my laptop I read about 10 different news rss feeds from my mobile. All this takes time I could probably use better but I don't want to.

During the day I get notifications about new facebook statuses and tweets all the time, some I respond to, some I read and some are just ignored (reading them all would require 48hour days). Immersing oneself to social networking might be scary and require lots of time, but the results are interesting. Getting addicted to status updates and being online 24/7 has changed our life quite a lot.

Social networking has become a lifestyle and I'm not surprised at all. People make friends around the globe and keeping in touch with them in near realtime would be almost impossible without the tools provided today. Friends can read your status updates easily when they have time or chat in realtime through various tools.

Being online almost 24/7 has its negative effects also. Few days ago a burglar could not keep his hands off from a computer while robbing a house, he logged into facebook and left it logged in, I guess he will have lots of time to update facebook behind the bars. Some studies say that companies are facing almost 2% decline in office productivity for people using facebook and other social medias.

I must admit I have also used my working hours to check facebook, friend new friends and update my statuses. Nowadays I'm even obligated to update our "hearbeat" twitter account (yeah, I was the one who suggested it ;).

Social networking is here to stay, it might change its appearance but it is slowly becoming the norm.

No comments:

Post a Comment